Monday, March 24, 2014

Who's ready for Spring?

Good morning crafty friends!  Yes my bad pun was intended...I (Sarah) am here today to share my latest project with you for Genuinely Jane Studios.  I started off with the owl book and decided to paint the front cover to resemble an actual owl, despite my daughters' repeated requests to paint it purple and pink!
I didn't really have a plan when I started, just knew I wanted the owl to look somewhat realistic.  I found a box of Target vase filler that I had bought on clearance and was just sitting around so I decided to use up that. I am trying to get creative and use up the ridiculous amount of stuff I have accumulated already. The box was filled with grass and dried flowers...everything needed to make a perfect nest.   Here is my owl:





I started out with the owl wood book from the store.  I first gessoed it then added acrylic paint to the owl.  I used a 12x12 shadowbox from Graphic 45 (the inside box) then added a piece of Prima Sunrise/sunset paper. I wanted the owl to appear three dimensional so I propped it up by adding wooden spools. I then added all my dried grass, flowers, etc with hot glue. The bird was a cut out from a magazine.  I thought it would make a nice decoration for my living room and it was really fun to make! Here are some close ups:



Here you can see that it's three dimensional:
 

It's so easy to grab one of these fab books and make something for your house or a gift, that is totally unique and personal.
Have a great day!~


No comments:

Post a Comment